Sunday, April 29, 2012

Easter egg on an organic farm


A couple of weekends ago it was Easter.  I looked in the paper and there was this funky farm south of Tucson that was doing their annual Easter event.  I figured it would be a good time for the kids and myself so we headed down.  It was this very cool sustainable-living farm, and most everybody at the event were people who lived there in the little community.  The rest was made up of curious people (out of towners) like myself. 





They did a nice job by separating the kids into age groups for the egg hunts, one group was the 4-6 range so both my kids got to be together.


Most of the goodies were home-made trinkets and healthy snacks with very little sugary treats thrown in.




They had a tractor to carry people to and from the different areas.  There was a gathering area with a stage, craft tents, lunch buffet and a bunch of other kid-friendly things.



Tilda was excited for face-painting, even though she doesn't look it in these pictures






Healthy food with spinich-stuffed pastries and steamed beets and rice and whatnot.  Fresh fruit and carrot cake for dessert.




There was this big gift basket that was being raffled off.  Kids had to estimate the amount of things in the basket and put down an entry.  Griffin and Matilda spent a lot of time studying it while I was in food line.  They announced the winner at the end and it was Matilda!  She was really ecstatic, and was just beaming,  I barely had time to whip out my camera and catch the moment.




It was a fun event, but I noticed after being there for a few hours that most people I talked to were part of the community who lived and worked there, and were very vocal about talking up their life and subtly trying to get me to join.  Maybe it was just my imagination, but after a while it felt almost like they were trying to sell me on an idea.  While it was certainly beautiful and cool there was something in the back of my head that made my "spider sense" tingle.  They talked about their spirituality being non-denominational, but the general feeling was very jesus-centered (it was easter after all) and the group felt more or less like a commune.  Here's a link:

http://avalongardens.org/ 

No comments: